Friday, May 11, 2007

The hair dilemma

It wasn't exactly a dilemma. Yet after getting the reddish-brown wig trimmed on Tuesday, it still wasn't right. I'd put it on and take it off. Put it on and couldn't decide why I didn't like it. Finally, I decided there was just too much hair on the top, it was too poofy. I decided to try a different wig shop than the first one I went to. The first one was in the Cherry Creek shopping district. It was like being on Newbury Street in Boston or on Rodeo Drive. Quite elite, lots of perfectly starched white shirts with ties and girls in high heels in perfect clothes. Nothing against looking nice. I just wasn't feeling so good about the prospect of loosing my hair or starting chemotherapy. I went the day before I started the chemo. I tried on a couple wigs and the girls were nice enough. But at $200 or $300 for a wig (or more), I couldn't commit. Yesterday's trip was better. Mom and I went to a place where the owner was cancer-free for 15 years. I found the right place. She also said she was more than a survivor, she was a conqueror. That's the same word I've chosen. A conqueror. Although I've been surprised when someone says something about my "battle with cancer" or or my "fight with cancer." I don't feel like it's a battle or a fight. Yet in choosing "conqueror," I'm also choosing "battle" and "fight." I digress. I found success at this new shop. She even fixed my first wig. I don't know how much I'll wear a wig but I have the choice now.

My hair is starting to go. It's not falling out but I can pull it right out. Like a dozen little hairs at one time. It doesn't feel like anything. I'm so glad I cut it last week. I think pulling out a dozen long strands would be too much. OK, so pulling out little hairs is weird too. This morning, my scalp felt like I had a pony tail in too tight and had just taken the elastic out. You girls know how that feels.

How am I feeling? Sort of how it was after the babies were born. I'll be doing something and all of a sudden it's time to quit and rest. I do seem to bounce back faster now. Sleeping is still an issue. I get about halfway through the night and wake up. I can't bring myself to take the very expensive sleeping pills. Oh I have them. There's also the problem of the side effects-the sleep-eating, sleep-cooking and sleep-driving. When I mentioned those, the doc said that those are rare side-effects. We'll see.

7 comments:

Blessed&Content said...

No, in all these things we are more than CONQUERORS through him who loved us.

Romans 8:37 NIV

love you - love you - love you -

Blessed&Content said...

Hey girl ! It's me backwards. get it. ;) Anyways Love U! EM haha visting Lori. WE just throwing a ripper here!!! U got 2 laugh. I c u smiling sister;) I am sending u a bunch of laughs. LOve U

Unknown said...

Checking in on you. Need to call. Had a dream of you last week, after you got your hair cut. Dreamt I saw you with the same hairstyle you had, just shorter. Your hair was on my mind. So glad you found a good wig shop. Sorry we won't see you and your Mom this Tuesday. ...Still leaning on the doors of heaven for you! Thanks for your note. Lots of love & hugs - Tina

Linda said...

I start work on Tuesday. Hope I can make Tuesday lunch once in awhile. Hope you have a great Mother's Day.
love you

Blessed&Content said...

Happy Mother's Day Nancy.

And a happy Sunday. Sunday is usually my favorite day of the week. Do you know the song "What I love about Sundays"? There is a line, 'hands raised in praise' yep, that's what I love about Sundays. Hung out with Em yesterday. What a hoot that chick is! We love you. We are praying for you.

WE ARE MORE THAN CONQUERORS IN CHRIST JESUS.

I need to be claiming that myself 2! Any "God sightings"? You, Nancy, always have been a "God sighting" in my life! I love you.
Blessed and Content

Jodi said...

N - sorry I didnt' get to talk to you yesterday. Hope your Mother's Day was awesome!

Love you!
Jodi

Jodi said...

Forgot to say, you ARE a conquerer in all ways! :)
- J