Thursday, May 3, 2007

Thursday; May 3

To answer the question: How does chemotherapy know to go after the cancer cells? I pulled this from the Rocky Mountain Cancer Center's site: Chemotherapy, the treatment of cancer with special drugs, is used to keep cancer from spreading, to slow a cancer's growth and to relieve the symptoms that are caused by cancer. Chemotherapy drugs are designed to destroy or change cancer cells to bring the disease under control. Each drug affects cancer cells in a different way. Some drugs actually break down parts of the cells, some disrupt the cell's growth cycle at particular stages and others deplete "food" needed by the cancer cells. Chemotherapy drugs affect both normal and cancerous cells. Although both types of cells are damaged, normal cells have a greater ability to repair this damage and to continue living than do the cancerous cells. For more info: http://www.coloradocancercenters.com/

My new hair came yesterday. The old hair goes tomorrow. I just can't wait around for it to fall out in clumps. I decided to go a bit on the red side, reddish brown. It's nice not to see all those gray hairs that stick straight up... And it really looks like my cut. Although with all this wind here, I may be the woman running after a small furry thing!

Again, I don't mind if you call, but I may not be able to get back to you soon. I will do my best. And if you can't wait, call again. You're not going to bother me. It's just that all the rules have changed.

4 comments:

MBZ said...

Not only have the rules changed, but *you* get to make the new rules, and you're 100% empowered to do so. Cancer has this amazing effect of helping you to weed out alllllllll the b.s. and just focus on *being*--that's you're entire job right now. To be. To be for you and for the boys and for Jay but most of all, to *be* for Nancy.

:*

Mel

MBZ said...

And I can't believe that I used "you're" instead of "your". May every one of my former college students whose papers I red-inked come back to haunt me.

:(

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of you and know that you're gaining incredible strength through all this. I've run into a few Montessori moms over the past week and everyone is sending you hugs, love, prayers.

Love you,
Meredith

Barb (in Bolton) said...

Hey Nancy,
Glad to read that you still have your sense of humor! It will prove invaluable as you go on. And on.
Just think. Your new hairstyle doesn't need weekly cuts or colorings. Good news for Jay.
Can't wait to hear all the different things he is teaching you.
Love and prayers, Barb (in Bolton)