Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yep, today's my birthday...

Thanks for the happy anniversaries and happy birthdays! I have to say I've never been so happy to see a year behind me. It's a relief to be into 2008 and to be 42. Exhale.

My official recipe:

Red 'n' Whites
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3-ounce pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
36 small ripe strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat the oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheeseuntil well blended. Beat in the sugar and vanilla, then stir in the flouruntil well mixed. Using a 1/2 tablespoon measure, shape the mixture intosmall balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make asmall indentation in the top of each cookie with your thumb. Carefullyplace a strawberry half, cut side down, in each indentation. Bake for 12 to18 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool on racks. Makes 5 dozen.

Nancy's variations: I've tried fresh black raspberries and red raspberries.The red ones are the best. I also like seedless raspberry jam in them. I usually end up with about 36 cookies because I make mine twice the size. The recipe comes from The Cereal Murders by Diane Mott Davidson.

No comments: