Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday; Sept. 17

The house is quiet and I can't think of a thing to do. That doesn't mean that there's nothing to do. But a few things come to mind to talk about.

You are your own health advocate.
Even if you love your doctor, they don't always make the best choice for you. Only you can. If a procedure hurts, tell them. Don't sit back and take it. Ask them to stop or to slow down. Somehow, we believe that "the doctor knows best" and that the medical professionals are always right. In procedures, in advice and in other areas. I've asked quite a few women to go get mammograms. I know what I'm asking. But you don't have to take it if the person doing the mammogram is pinching you or hurting you or bruising you. You need to go back and show them the bruise. You need to say stop. A mammogram should be no different than getting your blood pressure taken. I've had mammograms taken at three different facilities. The routine one, after the three biopsies, and before the surgery. None of them bruised me. None of them hurt. Of course they knew I had cancer so I'd hate to think that's why they were gentle. Back to the current issue--find a digital mammography clinic. Drive to a good one even if it's far. Ask other women where they go. I'm pushing you to go because I couldn't feel anything. The surgeon, my primary care physician's assistant and the other surgeon didn't feel anything. If you feel something, GO! Every lump, every time. If (when) you're doing MONTHLY self exams, you'll know when something different shows up. If you're not satisfied, go somewhere else. Get a second opinion. I don't know what's coming in the future, but I saved my boob by getting a second opinion. Take the time to do it.

Some self exam pointers: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/self_exam/bse_steps.jsp, http://cms.komen.org/komen/AboutBreastCancer/EarlyDetectionScreening/BreastSelf-Exam/index.htm?ssSourceNodeId=313&ssSourceSiteId=Komen/,
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_How_to_perform_a_breast_self_exam_5.asp

Know that if you feel something, it may not show up on a mammogram but it could show up on an ultrasound. This happened to Robin Roberts on GMA.

Warning signs:
*Lump, hard knot or thickening
• Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening
• Change in the size or shape
• Dimpling or puckering of the skin
• Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
• Pulling in of your nipple or other parts
• Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
• New pain in one spot that does not go away

Lastly, I want to save your ta-tas (thanks, Maggie!). If you have them, you're at risk. Only 10% is genetic. That leaves another 90%. Has your doctor talked to you about this 90%? Mine never did. She stopped at family history. Early detection is key. Because even if your mammographer has bruised you and hurt you, cancer hurts alot more. This isn't the thought that I want to leave you with. It is a fact. This hasn't been easy. Not that I thought you thought this. We all have families. They need us to take care of ourselves.

Here's a funny--Jenny sent me a cartoon of a nurse getting ready to take blood. The patient is lying on a bed. She says, "You're going to feel a little pinch, then a horrific burning pain, your eyes will roll back into your head, you will drool uncontrollably..."

I hope you're laughing. More later-love, nancy

No comments: