Thursday, September 6, 2007

A cup of tea with a friend...

If I was able to have a cup of tea with a friend, this is what I'd say:
I think it's a two pot kind of day! I'd ask about them and then I'd plow on...

This week has been ever so odd. Tuesday morning I took Aaron to school but there wasn't school that day for him. Yesterday he stayed home for some dental work and I forgot to call the attendance line before school started at 8am. I remembered at 9:20am and when I called to tell them I forgot, I remembered that the school is supposed to notify you if your child doesn't make it to school so I asked the person who answered. She says, "We haven't gotten to that yet this morning because there's a meeting." Hmm. The teachers had an adminstrative day on Tuesday. So the calls home didn't happen because they were in a meeting. The implications of this are big.

Radiation is almost over. I notice over the weekend (I guess) that the areas that have been radiated are not exactly the same as when I started. I'm wondering,"Have they made some sort of mistake? I have no way to know if it's right or wrong." It's not like the radiation sunburn shows up immediately. Yes, the techs line me up everyday with those tattoos and make sure I'm in the proper position. Yes, they take their time. Yes, it's all calibrated on a computer. When I asked the doctor on Tuesday, he said of course it's the right areas. I did go see him a second time Wednesday morning so that he could explain it to me. I'm not sure if I am satisfied with what he said. We did look at some x-rays and I am in the proper position. But me being in the proper position doesn't matter if they've put the wrong numbers in the machine. Or set up the template wrong in the machine. It's not like they can take it back. What am I going to do? I don't know right now.

We also got an insurance statement from the new insurance. It's not what we expected nor is it what we were led to believe the charges would be. Unfortunately, there's always some insurance problem when you have medical needs.

Aaron's teeth. 5 cavities, remember? I never got to talk with the dentist when we were there in July. I never got to see the x-rays. In fact, the temporary hygenist came into the waiting room, in front of other people and explained it to me. Not good, but I knew I'd talk to the dentist and see x-rays before anything was done. The hygenist reviews the x-rays. I wanted to see the January ones and the July ones to compare. The areas they labelled as cavities, didn't look like anything. One area did, but the second looked the same as other teeth that were not labelled as cavities. We didn't even get to #3 & #4. And the fifth I can see in his mouth. Before I even got to talk to the dentist, she's telling me she'll print the films and let me go get a second opinion. (She also said less than 15 minutes into our appointment-by this time it's 10:34am- that she didn't even know if we'd have time to do anyting. Yet they put us in the room at 10:22am for a 10:00am appointment.) I didn't want to get a second opinion. I hadn't even talked to the dentist for the first opinion. If the work needs to be done, it needs to be done. I wanted the dentist to explain it to me and to talk to me. The procedure wasn't even fully explained because she talked about putting Aaron to sleep.. That was never mentioned. Only a relaxant was mentioned. What we ended up doing was to take a second set of x-rays. The dentist gave Aaron a calcium paste to use at night that may help strengthen his teeth and reverse the beginning cavities. I wish they'd have given us the paste in July...

And today I realized we missed Aaron's back to school open house last night. I get an "F" for calendar reading this week. Of course, you need to actually read the calendar for it to be of any use.

Hopefully, I didn't ramble too much. Odd, odd stuff. Eventually it all works itself out. Before I would leave the tea house, I'd give my friend a big hug and say, "I love you, Meredith!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the fact that you ramble on. That's what makes you so endearing. By the way, every day this week has been a 2 pot kind of day. Getting back into the school routine has not been an easy transition for mom. I've had the piles of paperwork, homework, soccer practice - all that stuff that I didn't miss over the summer, plus the general blues. But Joe and I are going out this evening for a wonderful dinner and time alone.

BUT, enough about me. It's not very comforting about how you feel about your radiation. I'm hoping that your doctor and staff have been treating the correct area. I suppose you just have to question it and then have faith in their abilities. And as for Aaron and his cavities - can you see another dentist? And would they have to fill all 5 cavities at 1 time? And to put him under??? Yikes....Either talk with the dentist or get a second opinion. Keep us all updated and a big hug to you. Thanks for being there out the cyber world.

Love, Meredith