Friday, August 3, 2007

7 down 26 more yards to go...

Oh wait, this isn't a football game. But it's going. I'm not sure I'll feel OK about going daily a few weeks from now.

The boys start school Aug. 20. I'm keeping track. We're all ready for a new schedule.

Just a few comments about the cards we're dealt. We all get a deck of cards when we're born. Some we like playing. Like the Band card. Some play the Choir card. There's the College card. The Boyfriend/Girlfriend card. The Marriage card. The Children card. The New Car card. The House card. The I-phone card. Some have to deal with these cards: Divorce (parent's or yours), Abuse, Neglect, Heart Attack, Cancer, Mental Illness. We don't expect we'll even need to pull these from the deck. But the deck does come complete with a whole slew of other cards. Some so horrible we can't even imagine. Back to the Cancer card. I've actually been forced to play it. That's when someone pushes until you blurt out that you have breast cancer. While that wasn't so bad, the bad part was that the person never even asked me again about it. I'm afraid I'll have to do more with this person. Not exactly afraid, but there must be more to it. And maybe not but I feel as though the blurting wasn't the end of it.

Then there's the people who stare because I have a little cap on and no hair. Or the ones who look just a bit too long. At first I was convinced that they were sure I had cancer. Now it seems that people are either just rude or they really aren't sure if I don't have hair. I can almost see the wheels turning. I haven't figured out what my response ought to be. Maybe hand them a card with my story and blog info? Maybe tell them I don't have hair? One suggestion I got was to say that I was in a rock band and do you like my hair? I'm so not rock band material. Anyway, wearing hair in 100 degree weather just isn't reasonable. My head sweats. I don't remember it sweating so much when I did have hair. Of course it must have. I have found that 20-somethings don't care. I met a nice gal in Starbucks who just acted normal. And I thought I couldn't relate to them. Men don't have much of a problem either for the most part. It's the women my age who whack out. Those are the ones I should give a card to.

2 comments:

Blessed&Content said...

Hey Nancy,
You have a whole team behind you. I wish I could take a couple of the treatments for you. Maybe throw a Hail Mary into the end zone.

I bet the days are just so much hotter where you are now. The wackos - tell them "God did my hair for me today, how do you like it" - "it took no time at all" do funky eyeliner or punk lipstick, be courageous and of good cheer we all love you. You are a daughter of the KING! miss you! I will be Acadia Maine until Friday so will be out of touch by internet - but will be in touch thru prayer. much love and blessing dear Nancy!!!

Jodi said...

Nanc,

I LOVE, LOVE that card idea!! Sometimes you're so creative I feel like a sloth. But wouldn't that be cool to whip out a card and say, "HA!"

People can be so bleeping rude. You just have to remember that you're a better person. You deal with adversity with such humor that I think you'll have a positive effect on those kinds of people after you leave. I guess that's true with negative comments, too. But I just know your positive attitude rubs off on people, whether you know it or not.

So don't let the turkeys keep you down!! Soar with the eagles instead... :)

Love you!
(And can't wait to catch up in person soon!)
Jodi