Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tuesday, Dec. 11

I went to a Christmas brunch today with Kathy's Bible study group. I decided to go back in January. Kathy said she has been thinking of me and this group for a while. I'll give it a try. And it's on Tuesday.


Snow today and last Saturday. The weather again. Hmm. Do I really have nothing else to tell you? I'm sure I could tell you lots of things. Actually--the snow--and snow removal. What is your opinion about someone with cancer shovelling snow? I shovelled the sidewalk and porch today. Oh and the back patio. There must be a rule against people with cancer shovelling. Although I'm still hung up on my place--Do I still have cancer? Well I better not after all that treatment. But is it really gone? Who knows? So if I don't have cancer then I suppose it's fine to shovel. Maybe I'm just looking for a way out...


I'm going to tell you a story...
When I was in high school, I used to own a bike just like the one pictured here. It was a yellow Schwinn. I got it in 4th or 5th grade. I loved that bike. I used to ride all over but mostly to my friend, Pam's house. Then we'd ride to McDonald's or to Murphy's Mart. You know, to get our nugget fix or our candy fix. One day, I was delivering an order of fruit that one of my neighbors purchased from me. We sold all kinds of things for band so we could go on our spring trips. My neighbor said, "Thanks for the bike." I had no idea what she meant. I'm sure the look on my face was quite full of disbelief. So I went right home and my bike was NOT in the garage where it was supposed to be. I don't really remember talking to my mom about it. I thought I'd be taking it to college. Well not anymore. Mom had decided to sell it. Cleaning out the garage kind of thing. In the years since then, we've gotten so much mileage out of this little story. I suffered a deep emotional scar from her selling my bike without telling me. And then, while we were in Boston, on our way to the MIT Museum, there was MY bike!!! It had found it's way to Boston!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I still have the bike I got in high school (I think?). It's maroon with 3 gears on the handlebars and pedal brakes. For some crazy reason I haven't been able to get rid of it. I haven't ridden it in AGES, but I feel your pain. My mom got rid of ALL of my tap dance recital costumes. I have no idea what I would have done with them, but I was very sad to see them go.

Anyway, I say people with cancer get a pass from shoveling anything. So there.

Merry Christmas!!!!
Jodi