Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Walk

We went to the K-9 walk for the cure. It was really too much. Too many dogs, too many people. But we did meet some interesting dogs. Lots of the small dogs had on their pink fluffy coats. After that, we went to play in the park with River & Hailey.

We walked through the booths. One was for imaging services (mammograms, bone scans, CT's, etc.) The woman asks me, "Have you had your mammogram this year?" Moment of hesitation, "Um, I have breast cancer so I've had lots of them." Longer moment of silence, I then thanked her for asking and told her to keep asking. Lesson to me, don't be quite so pushy when I ask women about it. At this point, I realize it isn't just the mammos that women skip, it's their whole healthcare plan--skipping annual exams at the GYN, skipping the dentist. I wonder what the stats are on that.

No comments: