Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tamoxifen or Not Tamoxifen

"To be or not to be" in case you missed my reference above. Ok, so you probably all got it.

I go tomorrow to see my oncologist. I'm set to get a script for tamoxifen. It's for five years. After five years, it's no longer effective. I'm going to ask about alternatives. I'm not liking what I see on the net about it. Jay reminded me that the people with problems are the most vocal. That's true but usually there's some truth to be found in there anyway. I went headlong into taking Lupron when I had the endometriosis in 1999 before I had any info. That wasn't a good drug to take. But I also had a lousy doc at the time. I definitely know I have a better one now. I also want to know what happens if I don't take it. Percentages I guess. Although percentages aren't the whole story. I also need to ask about long term side effects from the chemo & radiation I had. I know most of them but want a refresher.

My days are filled with taking Aaron to school and picking him up. Nate walks or rides his bike. Doing laundry and trying to plan dinner. I'm tired just thinking about it. But really, we are doing normal things. I am grateful.

2 comments:

Georgia Haynie said...

Hey there Nancy,
I am glad you are researching the drug your doctor is recommending. As I am not knowledgeable about the medication, I cannot offer an opinion. Just wanted to encourage you in your endeavor. I am praying that God will guide you in your decision making. I know he is with you at all times.

Jodi said...

Nancy, I jus went to webmd and researched tamoxifen. I'll attach the link if you want to see the results I got. Not that you haven't done this - you're the best researcher I know. I'm sure you've found lots of info about this. But it never hurts to have another perspective!

Hope this helps,
Jodi
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4497-Tamoxifen+Oral.aspx?drugid=4497&drugname=Tamoxifen+Oral