Tuesday, October 23, 2007

continued...

It felt surreal is how it felt. At a breast cancer fundraiser no less. He insulted the Asian wig shop owner also. So I said thank you and left. I wonder how many other women he insulted that night. Unbelievable.

To enjoy more of our night out, we decided to go find a big screen TV in a bar to watch that Thursday night game. The one where the Red Sox decided to start winning. We don't go out to bars. We had no idea where to go. The ones we were driving past, didn't look like we'd fit in. Although we did contemplate a biker bar where I know they wouldn't care about what kind of hair I had. We decided on Indigo Joe's. A smallish kind of place which had kids eating dinner in it. That seemed safe enough. We got some appetizers and a beer. There weren't any big TV's. It was still good to watch.
I found a pink Red Sox baseball hat with a "B" on the front. The hair incident nudged me to try it out. Jay and I talked about how the other hats send mixed messages and maybe that's why people stare. I can't really walk around with a big sign saying, "I'm Christian, married, not making any kind of religious or other kind of statement." However, Jay said I should just wear the pink ribbon. I hate advertising the pink ribbon. But I decided I ought to try. I put it on the back. Saturday morning at breakfast, no problem. I wore it to Aaron's school carnival, no problem. I wore it to a card store and not one woman would look at me. Even the cashier didn't want to talk to me. So I'm thinking a little ignoring is fine for now. I went to a wonderful shop called Santa Fe Pottery to look for a wall pot for a philodendron. I broke one of the ones that came with the house in our den. It was like being in Santa Fe. Cats roamed the store. There was a huge court yard between the main house and I suppose what used to be servant rooms on the other side. Lots of small rooms with rugs, pottery, brightly colored Mexican pottery, spices, candles, oils, furniture. Just like Jackalopes. As I was leaving, the guy ringing up my order asked about the hat. Stacy told me men would be a better support at times. Women get all wonky. Anyway it was good to mention the breast cancer but then go on and talk baseball. He's not sure the Rockies can overcome the big boys from Boston. But they did it before, at Fenway. They also swept the Yankees. I think it's any one's game. I'm going to put a CR on the opposite side of my ball cap. I just can't make up my mind. We followed both teams all season. I love them both.

Our first snow and Nate's snow couple in our back yard. We had about 7 inches on Sunday. The roads were clear yesterday morning. It's supposed to be 60's today and 70's tomorrow.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Nancy,

Thanks for the note. Having people stare at you, for any reason, is NOT fun. Even if you don't know them and won't see them again. And I'm not a shy person, but it's very uncomfortable, to say the least.

As for baseball, I risk getting booed by saying I don't care who wins!! If the Reds were playing I'd care, otherwise, not so much.

Can I ask, what is the CR you talked about wearing on your hat? I love the ribbon on the hat idea. If you'd been at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta you would have seen EVERYONE with different pins on their hats. It was very cool.

The Santa Fe place sounds awesome. What a fun place to go to, even if you don't buy anything!

Anyway, I just want to say keep on keepin' on. There are a LOT of ignorant people out there, and you don't owe ANYONE an explanation if you don't want to give one. So there!

Love you,
Jodi

surrealblogger said...

It's for the Colorado Rockies...

I don't think I can make a decision either!

I am trying to get tickets. Not sure how much to spend but I've been timed-out three times now. Don't think I need to worry about it. Won't get to the page that has the tickets anyway. The rockies spokesman has been on TV saying everything is working out and tickets are selling. Why they chose to only sell them on-line is beyond me. nancy

Jodi said...

Colorado Rockies - I get it now!! I heard that tickets to the Rockies games are going FAST. So it looks like the online thing isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Going to a game would be F-U-N!!! I hope you can find tickets... Keep me posted!

Oh yea, and thanks for the answer!
Jodi

Unknown said...

I'm not watching the series because I'm bitter... and I don't even really like baseball!