Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Questions answered

Sigh of relief. Judy, the nurse who did my chemo training and who is the nurse supervisor, called. We just weren't connecting by phone.


The why of tamoxifen--as part of my whole treatment plan including, chemo, radiation and tamoxifen, my risk of recurrance is a little below 10% at 10 years. If I did nothing (no chemo, no radiation, no tamoxifen), my risk of recurrance is 20%. That's based on the Oncotype DX, the test done on the tumors in California.


How will Dr. Paul know it's working? By bloodwork taken at each visit: CBC, liver enzymes, electrolytes, tumor markers. Also by any side effects I tell him.

I do not have to get a baseline bone density as tamoxifen doesn't affect bones. When I take a post-m drug, those may hurt my bones so we'd scan then.

I also let her know how my nutrition consult went with the person she recommended. I went in June but never had the chance to let Judy know. The nutritionist gives free lectures at the university hospital. When she met with me, she "lectured" from those handouts. She didn't want to answer my questions probably because I was interrupting her "lecture." I didn't get the copies until after she was done speaking. She also wanted me to take certain supplements that Dr. Paul said not to take. In fact, he doesn't even want me taking a multi-vitamin. "Get your nutrients from food." I think girls should go to the free lectures, because they are free. I went looking for basics with specific emphasis on cancer health. I did learn things but she didn't actually go over any basics. I'll copy those sheets for Judy and she'll see if there's something else for me. (Oh great another co-pay...except that I need the info...)

And she will put a note in my file requesting that I do not see med-students. Before we talked about them, I asked her to pretend she didn't hear my question if she wasn't the person I needed to talk to. She thought that was funny. I explained how it seemed that the med-student hadn't reviewed what I had talked to her about with Dr. Paul, etc. You've already heard it so I'll stop there.

1 comment:

Blessed&Content said...

Hi Nancy,

Sorry I haven't been blogging all my thoughts - and there have been so many!!! I miss you and can not wait to see you! My 9/11/01 day - I didn't know about it until I was at the Ortopedic doctors with Richard. Richard had a broken collar bone. We had listened to Seasame Street songs on the way there. The secretary was crying. He husband was in NY working at the towers. Everyone in the office looked shell shocked. She did finally contact him. I have a friend who used to be a flight attendant on United. It took a few days to hear if she was on the flights out of Boston or not. Very scary. Very scary period. . . . . . what else have I wanted to share with you. . . yes I know the doctor saga, I have been sick for quite some time and they have not been able to figure out what's wrong.

Red Sox have had two successful nights; wonder what Colardo weather will do to the gang.

I am so glad you have this blog. I really enjoy it.

I know what else - being here in Massachusetts, I am so thankful and extremely grateful to see the photos with the "angels" God provided in CO to be there for you during this time. I praise God for his blessing of each woman that has been there for you while I prayed here.

love you!
LLL